The smell of freshly brewed coffee finding its way to your brain through the olfactory nerve and hitting just the right notes to wake your senses. What a feeling? Oh how I love the smell and taste of coffee. As much as I love them I’m glad that I’ve managed to keep my coffee addiction under control… Well at least I have less sleepless nights now. 😀
We are just spoiled for choices with the range of coffees available out there. I sometimes wish that it was just simple and easy. I mean it can be confusing at times especially for someone like me who isn’t an expert in all these coffee terminologies. I do know some to a certain extent but I can get it all mixed up at times.
Let see, we have the Espresso, Americano, Macchiato, Cappuccino, Latte, Mocha, Flat White. On top of that there is the milk… Whole, low fat/reduced fat, half and half, non fat/skinny, cream, soy milk. Oh and not forgetting the decaf. Phewww…well this is just sort of the basics. I don’t think I want to venture further. I’ll just stop here for the moment.
Ok let’s just go through some basic coffee terminologies.
- Espresso : A coffee drink made by forcing hot, pressurised water through finely ground coffee beans.
- Americano : Made up of 1/3 of espresso and 2/3 of water.
- Macchiato : Is a single shot of espresso with a little bit of steamed milk.
- Cappuccino : Consist of 1/3 of espresso, 1/3 of heated milk and 1/3 of milk foam.
- Latte : Consist of 1/3 of espresso, 2/3 of heated milk and about 1 cm of foam.
- Mocha : A variant of latte. Made up of 1/3 espresso, 2/3 skimmed milk with a portion of chocolate typically in the form of sweet cocoa powder.
- Flat White : Is similar to latte. Prepared by pouring microfoam over a single or double shot of espresso.
Looks like I’ve had enough of coffee talk for now. I still feel that there is nothing more satisfying than a simple Indian filter coffee or a Chinese (black/white) coffee. 😊
~ Mysterious Mind ©